Historical Plaque Properties

 

D’Arcy Randolph Nethercott - Dentist
17 Centre Street
1911

D’Arcy Randolph Nethercott was born in Mitchell, Ontario on August 29, 1880. He was the sixth of ten children born to Samuel Nethercott, who was a teacher, and Sarah Jane Martin. The family lived in Mitchell until Samuel transferred to a new teaching position in Woodstock, Ontario in 1893.
It was while living in Woodstock that D’Arcy became interested in dentistry.  According to his obituary, he began his training by working in a local dentist’s office.  However by the fall of 1901 he had been accepted and enrolled in the University of Toronto’s Royal Dental College, which was founded in 1875 and is the oldest dental college in Canada.
Upon graduation in 1904, D’Arcy decided to establish his practice in Stratford, which was at the beginning of another spurt in population growth as a result of the planned expansion of the Grand Trunk Railway’s locomotive repair shops. Initially, he opened his office at 21 Market Street, which is now Downie Street. He subsequently moved the offices to 46 Albert Street where he continued to practice until his retirement.
D’Arcy met and fell in love with a Stratford girl, Laura Maud Struthers. Maud was born on October 10, 1881, the daughter of Alva Lily Struthers and Sarah Jane Farnsworth. Alva owned and operated a dry goods store at Number 2, Old Albion Block on Ontario Street.
Maud had not quite reached her fifth birthday when her father died suddenly at the age of thirty-seven on June 13, 1886. He is buried in Avondale cemetery. As a result Sarah Jane was left to raise five children as a single mom. She worked as a bookkeeper to make ends meet and support her family. Sarah Jane  died in 1921 and is buried alongside Alva.
D’Arcy and Maud were married in Stratford on October 6, 1909. The couple initially lived at 30 Shrewsbury, however, they purchased a lot on Centre Street which had been sub-divided by William Preston, a manufacturer, who lived at 48 Shrewsbury on the corner of Centre Street.
D’Arcy and Maud had a house built at 17 Centre Street in 1911 and lived in the home for the rest of their lives.
In 1915, Maud gave birth to a daughter, Mary Eleanor, and in 1919 another daughter Gertrude.  Mary wed a widower, James Southcott, in 1936 and lived until she was seventy-six. Unfortunately, little information was found about Gertrude although it is known that she married a William Nisbett and they lived in Toronto.
D’Arcy retired from dentistry in 1954 after receiving a honourary membership in the Ontario Dental Association. According to his obituary, he had a quiet retirement involved with his church and spending his leisure time in his garden. He died on June 14, 1960 and is buried in Avondale Cemetery. Maud died just over a year later on August 2, 1961. She is buried alongside her husband in Avondale.