Historical Plaque Properties

 

Michael O’Brien - Baker & Confectioner
49 Elizabeth Street
1907

Michael O’Brien 1852 - April 26, 1931


John and Bridget O’Brien came to Canada from Tipperary in Ireland and lived in Paris, Ontario before moving to Stratford with their three sons,- Michael, (who built 49 Elizabeth in 1907); Terrance; and John J. Two girls, Julia and Bridget were also born but died in early childhood.


Michael was born in 1852, married a Mary Scanlon and fathered nine children during his 60 year residence in Stratford. He established several businesses in this city, including a bakery and confectionery store, O’Brien Bros. which he operated with his two brothers, Terrance and John, for many years.


They sold the bakery and two other stores near the turn of the century and retired, but in the first decade Michael established a building and real estate business of his own. As well as 49 Elizabeth he built the Peter and Sylvester store, and the Collett Millinery store. Michael died April 26, 1931, leaving his widow, five sons, and four daughters. At his death he lived at 74 Huron St.


He leaves his five sons - John J. of Westmount, P.Q.; Thomas L. and Gratton J. of Los Angeles, Calif.; Lawrence of Montreal, P.Q.; and Father Justin O’Brien of St. Paul the Apostle, NYC.
He also leaves four daughters - Lillian, R.N., St. Marys hospital, Niagara Falls, NY; Sister M. Gerarda, Loretto Convent, Toronto; Sister M.M.Justin, Armour Heights, Toronto; and Loretto at home.