Historical Plaque Properties

 

Alfred Erie Francis Jones - Auctioneer & Real Estate Dealer
22 Norman Street
1918

The North American four square house at 22 Norman St. that was listed in the tax assessment as Lot 388, Avon Ward, was built in the summer of 1918 by A. E. F. Jones. The house was then rented to Arthur K. Alloway and his family. Arthur was the manager of The Herald, one of the first newspapers in Stratford.  Alfred sold the house in 1920 to Frederick and Mary Cosford.

 

Alfred Erie Francis Jones was born in Stratford on November 20, 1880 to John Brimacombe Jones (1812-1890) and Ruth, nee Banker (1841-1913) who had immigrated to Canada from England in 1857 and were one of Stratford’s pioneering families. He was educated in Stratford schools and completed his business education at the local collegiate. He soon started working in minor newspaper and mercantile work eventually becoming a depot agent when he resigned to start his real estate business, originally in The Herald Building on Market St. and then moving to 42 Albert St.

 

On November 30, 1903 Alfred married Emma Mogk, the daughter of Warren and Mary nee Wilker, on her family’s farm near Sebastopol, Ontario. She was born in 1877.

 

Alfred and Emma would have 13 children- Francis Brimacombe (February 1904), Lillian May (July 17, 1905),  Cecil Werner (May 18,1907), Carl Robert (September 8, 1909),  Alfred Kenneth (September 26, 1911), William Ray (August 26, 1913), Emma Daisy (February 4, 1915),  Tom Mathew (May 23, 1916),  Jack Erie (October 20, 1917),  Harold E. (February 12, 1919), Edith Doris (April 17, 1920),  Olive Gladys (September 4, 1921) and finally Glen Ross James (August 8, 1924).

 

Alfred and Emma and their growing family moved to the large house at 115 Brunswick St. in 1919 and then to an even larger house on Albert St. In the early 1930’s he began a secondhand household goods business at 43 Brunswick St. from which he operated all of his business ventures. Alfred would serve as an alderman on the City Council of Stratford as well as Council Commander of the Woodmen of the World, a not for profit fraternal benefit society that operates a large privately held insurance company for its members.

 

Albert and Emma lived at 25 East Gore Street before moving to 125 Albert Street when he died on May 2, 1954. Emma would die in May of 1962. They are both buried in Avondale Cemetery along with several of their children.