Historical Plaque Properties


John James Bailey - Section Foreman - CNR
454 Albert Street
Stratford, ON

The east part of lot 86 on Albert Street was first occupied by John James Bailey in 1906.

John was born in Birmingham, England on April 29, 1873 to parents, William and Louisa (Fields). He immigrated around 1890 and settled in Toronto for about seven years before moving to Bayfield where he was engaged as a section hand for the Grand Trunk Railway. He then obtained a job as section foremanship in Clinton. 


He was 33 when he married Ellen Leitch, age 19, on August 17, 1900 in Stanley Township, Huron County.  Ellen was born on July 1, 1881 in Brucefield.  In the 1901 Census, they are listed as living on her parent's, David and Lucinda (Lawrason), farm in Bayfield.  They had a daughter, Louise Irene, on October 4, 1900 and two sons, John Harold, on September 8, 1902 and William Russell”Russ” on June 21, 1904. All the children were born in Bayfield.  Louise, a bookkeeper, married John Loverne Quinlivan in Stratford on March 29, 1921 and divorced him on January 7, 1931. She married Julius Reuben LaForge in Detroit, Michigan on October 27, 1951. She died on April 7, 1975 in Gross Point Farms, Wayne County, Michigan.   John Harold, a machinist, married Dorothy Ellen Schneider on May 6, 1926 in Stratford.  John was living in Detroit at the time of their marriage and returned there with his new bride. He died in January 1953 and is buried with his parents at Avondale Cemetery. ”Russ”, a machinist, married Christina Bender in Shakespeare on December 21, 1922 and died in December 1963 and is buried in Avondale Cemetery.


After a few years in Clinton, John and his family moved to Stratford and were listed in the 1905-1906 city directory as living at 454 Albert Street. He was employed by the railway for the next 17 years as a section foreman. The family only lived in the house for a year before moving to 60 Mackenzie Street, as noted in the 1907 City directory.  They continued to live there until 1912 when they moved to 14 Stratford Street.  In 1914 they moved to Birmingham Street. By, 1917 the were living at 187 Wellington Street and John  changed occupation to a night watchman at McLeod Cereal Flour Mill in 1919 and continued there until 1925 when he moved to Stratford Chair Company, still as a night watchman. The family moved one last time, in 1926, to 230 Erie Street, where John died on March 9, 1932 in his 59th year.  Ellen died on October 3, 1941 still living at the house on Erie Street, in her 60th year.