Historical Plaque Properties


David Vippham - Cabinet Maker
18 Shakespeare Place
Stratford, ON

The two-storey house on Lot 46, 18 Shakespeare Street in Stratford was built by David Vippham in 1871. He and his family lived in the house until 1875, when the tenant was listed as J. Embrey (baggage master).

The London city directory listed David living in that city in 1875. In 1879, the tenant living at 18 Shakespeare was James Miller (engine driver).  By 1881 David was listed as living back in his home on Shakespeare Street.   David remained living in the house until 1890, when he sold it to John Badour (shoemaker)

David was born to David John Vippham (1778-1830) and Ann Burnham (1784) in Moulton, Lincolnshire, England. The date of his baptism was October 21, 1818. He married Elizabeth Cunnington (1825-September 21, 1904) on October 19, 1841 in England.  Their first son, William, was born in Belleville, Hastings, Ontario in 1845 and died in St. Thomas on February 8, 1909. Their only daughter, Mary Ann, was born in 1846 in Belleville. She married William Dawe and had four children: Lizzie, Jane, Stillborn, and Emily. They lived most of their lives in Stratford. Mary Ann died on May 1, 1890 in Elgin County, Ontario and is buried in Avondale Cemetery.  John Edward, their last son, was born in 1849 in Athens, Leeds & Grenville United Counties, Ontario. He died on June 30, 1877 in Stratford and is buried in Mount Pleasant Cemetery in Toronto. David and Elizabeth moved to Welland, Ontario, where he died on December 22, 1891. Elizabeth moved to St, Thomas (maybe to live with her son, William) and died there on September 21, 1904. Both are buried in St. Thomas.

John Badour, who purchased the house from David, opened a boot, shoe, & gloves store at the corner of Downie and Shakespeare Streets as listed in the city directories of 1890.  He married Elizabeth “Lizzie” Hart in Stratford on October 22, 1895. They had four children, Marie, Wilfred, Leon, and Pierre.  The store moved to 291 Downie Street between 1906 and 1910. John continued to operate the store until his death on April 1, 1939.