Historical Plaque Properties


William Elligson - General Contractor
299 Brunswick Strret
Stratford, ON

The yellow brick house at 299 Brunswick Street-Lot 242 started out with a Well Street address. Lots 242 and 307 were lumped together as the corner property at Brunswick and Well streets until the 1906 assessment roll.  The house at lot 307 facing Well Street was under construction in 1904 and in 1905, lot 242 was divided into two properties, numbered 299 and 303 Brunswick Street.  The house at 299 was completed by William Elligson, a general contractor in 1905.


William Augustus Elligson was born to German immigrates Johann Justus Heinrich “Augustus” (1803) and Louisa Amalia Weddige (1822).  Louisa was Johann’s second wife. His first wife, Louisa Keonig Helmstadt ((?), were married in Germany around 1841 and had daughters Louisa (1842), Hannah (1846) and son Heinrich Friederich (1847).  Louisa died in 1848 in Germany. 


Johann married, his second wife, Louisa “Amalia” Weddige (1822) in 1852 in Germany. And immigrated to Canada by 1853 as their son Karl Charles was born in 1853 in Ellice Township.  They also had a daughter Jonahanna “Wilhelmina” (1854) and son William Augusta, born on March 5, 1856.  William’s mother, Louisa died on July 29, 1857 and is buried in First St. John’s Lutheran Cemetery in Sebringville.  Johann married again about1858 to Maria “Sophia” Dorothea Pflugmacher (1819) and had two more daughters Mary (1859) and Emma (1862).  In the 1879 Perth County historical map, A. Elligson is shown as owning 100 acres at Lot 29, concession 3 in Ellice Township.  He died on April 29, 1881 and buried in Sebringville with Louisa and Sophia who died in 1901.


William married Emma Annalie Nolte (1862) on February 11, 1881 at Second St. John Lutheran Church in Wartburg.  They are listed as living in Ellice, Perth North as per the 1881 Census.  Their first son, Louis Edwin was born on August 6, 1882, he only lived a day and is buried in Sebringville.  Edward William, their next son was born on September 1883, followed by Franklin Albert on June 28, 1885 and Norman Andrew on October 26, 1887. In the 1890 City Directory, the family is living at lot 26, Con. 3 with his brother Charles and in 1891 they had moved to the home farm at lot 29, Con.3 and William’s occupation is a carpenter.  They completed their family with a daughter; Mary Louise was born on March 14, 1892.  William and his family moved into Stratford and resided on Brunswick Street by 1905.  They only lived at the house until 1909, when their address is listed as 43 Centre Street, where William continued to live until he died on February 6, 1942.  Emma died on December 24, 1941. Both are buried at Avondale Cemetery, in Stratford.